Freedom School is a seven-week full-time summer enrichment program that helps young scholars fall in love with reading, increases their self-esteem and generates more positive attitudes toward learning.
On average the scholars that come through our Freedom School program will raise their reading levels 14 months or higher.
Young scholars will participate in high-quality STEM clubs that provide them an in-depth learning experience in an area of interest to them.
Additionally, the scholars will have the opportunity to engage in a wide variety of learning experiences, including interacting with professional guests representing various career paths, visiting museums and science centers, touring college campuses and participating in community service and social action projects.
Interested in signing your child up? Click the link below for the application!
After School Program
- Peacemakers offers a free after-school program for 40 neighborhood elementary school students.
- The program provides homework assistance, individual tutoring on skills that need remedial help, and a snack.
- It is offered four days a week, two hours per day, during the school year.
- On the third Saturday of each month, Peacemakers offers free Book Parties to neighborhood children.
- The kids receive lunch, listen to a read-aloud guest, engage in fun activities, and choose several books they are able to take home and keep.
- Low-income families generally do not have age-appropriate reading material in the home for the children, and the goal of this program is to build an age-appropriate in-home library of reading material for the child, which will have long-term academic benefits.
- Peacemakers features an open-access 14-unit Windows-based computer lab that is open to anyone six days per week.
- Neighborhood children use the lab to work on school work, while many adults use it to complete online job applications.
- The lab is also available for recreational use.